QA Lead Responsibilities and Video Game Testers Role Description in Game Porting Team
- Video Game Testers Role Description in Game Porting Team
- What does a game tester do?
- There are four main roles in QA:
- So, with the basics covered, what do game testers do in porting?
- What else does QA do?
- What is a video game tester's role in game creation?
- Skills and Qualities of a Game tester for Game Porting
- QA Lead Responsibilities in game porting team
- Consider Pingle Studio Your Trusted Partner
- In Conclusion
Nobody wants to play a broken game, and nobody will spend money on it. These facts make game testing a groundbreaking part of the game development process. It’s the work of a team of multiple professionals with various talents, and the bigger the game – the bigger the required QA team. All this work should be properly managed, and that’s where QA Lead stands out. Throughout this article, we’ll explore the ins and outs of the profession and the skills necessary to excel in the field.
Video game testers are, by far, one of the most important, integral, and impactful roles in the game development industry. Some important tasks they tackle are:
- Playing and testing games in methodical and experimental approaches in order to find errors or broken elements
- Recording, archiving and analyzing those errors to further categorize them later
- Experiment with in-game settings and altered states in order to find more errors
- Perform previously executed playtesting methods on a new version of the game to catalog the errors that remain
- Analyze any written materials, in-game writing, and menu copy to check for quality, consistency and clarity
- The Test Analyst performs static checks based on pre-made lists and requirements to investigate bugs and glitches early in the process.
- The Test Designer creates pre-made test protocols for each project based on the customer’s goals and constraints. This allows for a speedier testing process than would otherwise be possible.
- The Test Executor runs through pre-planned tests and documents the failure and success rate of each criteria.
- The Test Manager keeps the process on track through documenting the necessary dates, completion percentage and goal tracking in order to deliver the project on time.
- The QA Lead works and communicates with the team, the customer, and the company itself to ensure that no only will the project get done on time, but it will be of the utmost quality and satisfaction.
- Testers play each different port of the game to look for further complications. Some may arise from the porting process itself, or it may be a result of minor engine changes. Regardless, this ensures that each version of the game follows the same criteria of quality and consistency.
- In addition, port testers will use similar methods to the bugs already cataloged to identify any bugs that remain in the current version. This process allows for a smoothing process both mechanically and visually.
- Extra elements for each console have to be added and tested to ensure a positive play experience. For instance, certain controllers may feature a touchpad or gyroscope, so focusing on making those features work for that port of the game will allow for extended use of that version’s mechanics.
- Along with analyzing written materials, the QA team troubleshoots any errors related to menu navigation, accessibility options such a colorblind modes and subtitles, and general graphical errors.
- QA employees display their technical writing expertise through in-depth error reports that detail the minutia of each and every bug or glitch.
- If bugs and errors are too large for a single member to document, it will ascend into a higher level of importance and be given the time and focus it needs to explore further.
In the grand scheme of game development, testers are the integral middle point between developer and publisher. As new builds and experimental mechanics arrive from the front end, testers are responsible for analyzing every possible issue and informing the developer on every minute issue and possible fixes. This is incredibly important- not only in the process of making the finished product as excellent as it can possibly be- but for the games industry as a whole. As new engines are built and game creation processes evolve, testers are responsible for exploring each new realm of experimentation and development to find out what does and doesn’t work.
Our testers are a cultivated collection of experts with love for both the games industry and the refining process overall. The ideal tester would be somebody with an immaculate eye for detail and accurate documentation. This is integral to the quality of our output as we pride ourselves on our thoroughness and quality of testing. In addition, testers must change their expectations and adapt to the flow of different systems during the porting process, including different controller features and systematic differences. Testers must also have plenty of computer experience, along with the ability to get acclimated to our testing and documentation software.
In addition to the mechanical refinement and glitch hunting, testers on our QA team must be communicative with our QA Lead. Proper communication must be upheld with other testers, as well,.which encourages cross-comparing discoveries and high-glitch locations for further analysis. This open communication allows our team to accurately solve any problems that may arise, from miscommunication from the team to major breakdowns in the testing process. As such being thorough in the descriptions of their findings is a major part of the process.
The QA Lead is a necessary role responsible for guiding our porting team from the beginning of a project all the way through to the final project. As such, the ideal candidate would be a natural leader, a thoughtful mentor, and, most of all, somebody able to make tough decisions in how the project flows.
The QA Lead’s responsibilities include creating a project plan and sharing it with the team, defining how the testing process will occur, and assigning tasks as needed. In addition, leads will consult with each member of the team in order to truly define each glitch and properly comb the entire game. As the testing process occurs, this role is the deciding factor in how smoothly the final product gets produced.
You must have former experience in managerial roles in the technical space, along with great communication skills.
Pingle Studio is a well-known and established video game testing outsourcing company that provides excellent services in every game development stage. As a company, we pride ourselves on our ability to work perfectly within the terms of any project we are given, no matter the constraints.
Our park of all the required devices – 40+ Nintendo Switch testkits, 24 Xbox testkits (including past gen testkits for Xbox One), and 37 PlayStation testkits (including past-gen PS4 kits) – makes it possible for us to work with any existing game platform.
One of our testing projects was the multiplayer GigaBash. This project required our assistance in integrating and consolidating controller touchpad functionality on modern consoles. In addition, with the major issues with multiplayer functionality in the game, our testing team worked together to test every single multiplayer mode and variable in order to turn Gigabash into the excellent title it is today.
In another genre, Thunder Tier One is a top-down tactical shooter with a deep focus on realism and weight. During our testing procedure, we took great care in analyzing real world weaponry and how they affect the field to inform the dev team on ways to improve the accuracy of their digital counterparts. In doing so, Pingle Studio had a hands-on approach through testing that left a mark on Thunder One’s development and helped nurture it to its positive reception.
It’s projects like these that showcase the dedication and effort we show to the studios and developers that choose us for their testing procedures. If you have the same level of dedication to the art and the industry that you love, you’ve come to the right place.
By joining our team, you’ll be welcomed into one of the most consistent, collaborative, and visionary workplaces in the gaming industry worldwide.